Theft and burglary crimes are taken very seriously in South Carolina. Without the proper representation from an experienced theft & burglary defense lawyer, an individual charged with these crimes doesn’t stand much of a chance in the justice system.
At Baldwin Law, we understand the serious consequences of a theft & burglary conviction. Our team has a great deal of experience in defending people accused of theft and burglary, and protecting their best interests and freedom.
We know how to build a strong legal defense, and with our deep understanding of the state’s tactics and strategies, we are prepared to take your case to trial if necessary.
Call our office today in Greenville, SC at 864-630-8503 for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about our services and how our lawyers can help.
The role of a defense lawyer is generally twofold: protecting and defending clients from unfair legal practices and guiding them throughout the court proceedings. Here are a few reasons why you should hire a theft & burglary lawyer at Baldwin Law:
- Knowledge of the justice system: Our attorneys have decades of combined experience in handling these types of cases, which will help formulate an effective defense strategy.
- Working relationships in the legal system: Over the years, we have built relationships with prosecutors and judges in the local and statewide courts. This can be helpful during negotiations as we are familiar with how they approach cases.
- We are committed to protecting your rights and freedom: Facing theft or burglary charges can be stressful. Working with a lawyer can help ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process, and they will be working to reduce or eliminate any potential penalties.
- Access to resources: We have the resources and expertise to effectively defend you. In theft and burglary cases, it’s all about conducting thorough investigations,cross-interviewing witnesses, identifying loopholes in the prosecution’s case, and building a good defense strategy, which will require resources and the right knowledge.
- Saving you time and money: Choosing to represent yourself in criminal cases can be quite time-consuming, risky, and expensive. You likely won’t have the connections, knowledge, experience, and resources to defend yourself. Working with an experienced lawyer will speed up the process and raise your chances of getting a favorable outcome.
It’s in your best interest to work with a theft & burglary attorney from Baldwin Law to get your life back to normal as quickly as possible. We offer all our clients a free initial consultation, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us right away.
What are the Differences between Theft and Burglary?
While there’s some level of overlap between the terms, they don’t refer to the same thing. Legally speaking, both refer to completely different offenses as described below:
Theft involves removing property or assets from another person without their consent. To be considered theft, the actions have to demonstrate the following:
- The accused took physical control of the asset or property with no intention of returning it.
- The property or asset was illegally taken without consent.
Examples of theft include pickpocketing, shoplifting, stealing a vehicle, stealing personal information such as bank cards, and taking a piece of property from a person during an argument.
Burglary entails entering another person’s home or building without consent, to take their property. The intent is key here, and the accused doesn’t have to actually take property from the building to be convicted.
Common examples of burglary include breaking into a house and removing a kitchen appliance or entering a home through an unlocked window and removing jewelry.
Our Lawyers Will Help You Every Step of the Way
When you are formally charged or arrested for theft & burglary, the first thing you should do is to stay quiet. You have a constitutional right to do so, and you should use it. Be polite to the police, but understand that you have no obligation to talk to them. Ask for a lawyer immediately.
From the moment you reach out to Baldwin Law, our team will get to work immediately to ensure that your rights and best interests are well protected.
We will start by conducting a thorough investigation into every aspect and angle of the case to develop a bulletproof defense strategy. We will look into the available evidence, talk to the witnesses, and keep you informed about the case.
Bail and Plea bargains
Your attorney will also work with the prosecutors and handle the initial court appearances to discuss bail and early dismissal, depending on the circumstances of your case and the evidence presented by the prosecution.
Most cases are resolved before going to trial through plea bargain agreements that are negotiated between the prosecutors and the defense lawyers.
By understanding the case details finding loopholes in the prosecutor’s case, and building a strong defense, your lawyer can negotiate a plea deal that minimizes the charges or resolves the issue effectively.
If a plea bargain cannot be reached, we will not be afraid to fight your case at trial. At this point, we will make sure that no one who makes it to the jury is biased against you before the trial begins.
We will also be beside you at all times to represent your case to the best of our ability and fight for your freedom.
Talk to a Theft & Burglary Defense Attorney Today
If you or a loved one is facing theft and burglary charges anywhere in South Carolina, our criminal defense lawyers can help. Reaching out to Baldwin Law means that you are taking an important step in protecting your rights and pursuing a favorable outcome.
Schedule a consultation with theft and burglary defense lawyer in Greenville, SC today at 864-630-8503 or by contacting us online.